Eckerd Kids’ Brevard Prevention Counseling is provided to all students in grades 6th through 12th in Brevard County Alternative Schools through individual or group counseling, which combines character education with elements of evidence-based substance abuse and violence prevention interventions. Counseling occurs in classroom settings delivered through weekly sessions which include role playing, modeling, thematic art projects, conflict resolution games and recreational activities. Students in need of more intensive interventions receive additional individualized counseling. Additionally, the program specialists involve students in community service projects that relate to their specific prevention plans and goals. The program also partners with other agencies during the summer to serve youth ages 10 – 17 in need of prevention counseling based on availability.
- Works in partnership with Brevard County Schools and local agencies to provide services year round
- Uses elements of evidence-based curricula: Too Good for Drugs, Too Good for Drugs and Violence and Second Step
- Provides individual and group counseling
- Creates prevention goal plans for each student receiving individual counseling
- Includes character education, substance abuse prevention and violence prevention strategies
Eckerd Kids’ Brevard Prevention Counseling is available to students grades 6th – 12th enrolled at Brevard County Alternative Learning Centers. Services may be offered to other students not enrolled at these locations during the summer months depending on staffing and availability. To apply for this program or to learn more, please contact the office location closest to you.