Become a champion for a child in foster care!
Being a champion for a child in foster care means, as a foster parent, you help bring stability to a child’s life during a time of trauma and help shape his or her future. Foster parents leave lifelong impressions on children in their care and positively impact the futures of children and families in our community.
To be a foster parent, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have adequate sleeping space (a bed for each child placed in the home)
- Demonstrate stable housing and income
Becoming a foster parent will likely be one of the most challenging — yet rewarding — tasks of your life. If you are interested in learning more about becoming a foster parent, we encourage you to read our frequently asked questions and attend a free orientation session. You can sign up for an orientation session by contacting any of our offices directly.
Steps to Foster
- Get started by calling 866-233-0790 to sign up for a free orientation session.
- Get information at an orientation that will explain what is needed to become a foster parent and answer your questions. Once you choose a licensing agency and return a few forms, the next step is training.
- Get trained at no cost to you with classes called Professional Parenting Training. You’ll learn about children in foster care, start to understand their trauma, working with bio-parents, understanding of developmental stages and behaviors, and much more. At the end, you will have completed 24 hours of training and will receive your certification.
- Get licensed to ensure that you, your family and your home are prepared and safe. This will include a home study and background screening of all household members at no cost to you. If favorable, your home will be licensed to accept children into your care.
- Begin being a foster parent and providing a child with a second chance.
We can help! Please visit our Fostering FAQs for additional information.
Interested in becoming a foster parent or have a question not covered in the FAQs? Contact us today!